Actor Framework Fundamentals
Explore a model of computation that promotes concurrency and learn how the Actor Framework evolved from systems of queued message handlers.
- Challenge of Concurrency
- Introduction to Actor Design
- Exploring Actor Framework
Explore the features of the Actor Framework and learn to build an actor.
- Creating an Actor
- Creating UIs: Using Control References
- Using the Time Delay Message
- Using Static Nested Actors
- Adding Helper Loops
- Overview of Error Handling
- Using Dynamic Nested Actors
- Creating UIs: User Events
- Using Last Ack to Manage Nested Actors
Designing Systems in Actor Framework
Develop an application architecture in the Actor Model that meets a given set of requirements.
- Overview of Evaporative Cooler
- Designing an Actor System
- Improving Your Design
|Building Actors through Inheritance|
Use inheritance to implement complex behavior in a single actor. Learn how a good inheritance hierarchy simplifies development and promotes reuse.
- Exploring Inheritance
- Using Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit with Actor Framework
Exploring Hardware Abstraction Layers
Implement a hardware abstraction layer using actors.
- Exploring Water Level Controller
- Overview of Hardware Abstraction Layers
Building Actors through Composition
Build an actor that implements complex behavior by managing a set of nested actors.
- Building Actors through Composition
Make nested actors reusable by decoupling them from their callers.
- Overview of the Problem
- Creating Interfaces
- Using Abstract Messages
|Designing User Interfaces||Explore options for adding user interfaces to Actor Framework systems. |
- Creating a UI through Inheritance
- Creating a Separate UI Actor
- Building Interchangeable UIs
Exploring Distributed Systems
Explore the communication infrastructure needed to build Actor Framework systems distributed across several computing targets.
- Managing the FPGA Interface
- Host-Target Communication
- Managing UIs for Multiple Subsystems
- Other Considerations for Actor Systems
State Pattern Actors
Build an actor that can alter how it responds to messages.
- Exploring State Pattern
- Managing State in LabVIEW
- Managing State in Actor Framework
Advanced Message Handlers
Change how the actor implements message handling.
- Using Adapter Actors
- Overriding Receive Message
Integrating Actors in Synchronous Systems
Incorporate actors into procedural applications
- Calling Actors Synchronously
- Working in Command/Response Environments
|Unit Testing in Actor Framework|
Develop a suite of automated tests that prove your actors behave as intended.
- The Testing Challenge
- Isolating Actors
- Creating Unit Tests
- Analyzing Costs