1. NI myDAQ Box Contents
When you open you box, you'll see two items:
- The NI myDAQ Quick Start Guide. It contains additional information about various device connections not found in this document.
- A tray which contains the following items:
(a) NI myDAQ Student Instrumentation Device
(b) NI myDAQ Software Suite DVD, USB Cable
(c) Digital Multimeter (DMM) Probes
(d) 3.5 mm Audio Cable
(e) NI Screwdriver
(f) Screw-Terminal Connector
Figure 2. Contents of NI myDAQ Box
Keep the tray and box to store your NI myDAQ and accessories. You also can store a breadboard on the right side of the tray. You'll need all these items to get setup.
2. Software Installation
You have two options for installing the required software.
- Use the NI myDAQ Software Suite DVD included in your box. Simply insert the DVD in your computer and follow the on-screen instructions. Note that the installation process may take from 20 to 40 minutes.
- Download the software online.
3. Hardware Setup
Once the software installation is complete, you can set up your NI myDAQ hardware.
- Connect the screw-terminal connector to your NI myDAQ. The screw-terminal connector must snap securely into place to ensure proper signal connection.
- Connect one end of the USB cable to your NI myDAQ and the other end to the computer.
- Confirm the blue LED lights up to indicate that the device is being powered.
If the light does not illuminate, refer to the Troubleshoot your NI myDAQ article for more information on possible causes and solutions.
4. Choose Your Software Instrument with NI ELVISmx Instrument Launcher
What is the ELVISmx Instrument Launcher?
The ELVISmx offers eight virtual instruments which are computer-based versions of some of the more commonly used laboratory instruments. ELVISmx is also shared with NI ELVIS, a prototyping platform for circuits and electronics.
Why does it appear?
To help you get started more easily. These are some of the most common functions you can use your myDAQ for.
To learn more about NI ELVISmx virtual instruments, visit Using NI myDAQ with NI ELVISmx Software Instruments.
If the ELVISmx Instrument Launcher does not appear, refer to the Troubleshoot your NI myDAQ article for more information on possible causes and solutions.
5. Next Steps
Now that you have installed your software and set up your NI myDAQ, you are ready to take your first measurement using NI myAQ and NI ELVISmx instruments.
After you have completed your first measurement, you can take your second measurement using NI myDAQ and LabVIEW.