Legacy: NI-488.2 Communicator
There are several ways to launch the NI-488.2 Communicator:
- It will launch as step 2 of the NI-488.2 Getting Started Wizard.
- Right-click on a GPIB board listed in the Measurement & Automation Explorer
and select "Scan for Instruments" from the pop-up menu:
Then right-click on a found instrument and select "Communicate with Instrument" from the pop-up menu:
What It Does
The NI-488.2 Communicator program opens in its own window and looks like this:
This program is much more user friendly than the Interactive Control (IBIC)
, but it is also much more limited. You can use this program to send messages to an instrument and receive messages back from that instrument. The key parts of this program are:
Some other aspects of the program are:
- The Show Sample button, which will display a sample GPIB program written in C. Other sample programs are available (see your NI-488.2 installation program).
- The Globals box, which displays the three NI-488 global variables. See the online NI-488.2 User Manual for more details.
- The Status box, which displays the component bits of the NI-488 status word. See the online NI-488.2 User Manual for more details.