Complete the following steps to upgrade from any version of InsightCM 3.X to the newest InsightCM 3.X release. The instructions below use default installation file paths. You will need to update the file paths accordingly if not using the default installation paths.
- If upgrading from InsightCM 3.0 or 3.1, upgrade to InsightCM 3.2 first before upgrading to a newer version of InsightCM.
- Make sure you are signed in as an administrator on the machine running the InsightCM Server application.
- Export Asset, Device and Alarm Rules spreadsheets from the InsightCM web application for configuration back up.
- In a web browser, launch the InsightCM web application.
- Browse to the Asset page » Action menu » Import/Export » Export Asset Spreadsheet » All Nodes and save the spreadsheet.
- Browse to the Devices page » Action menu » Import/Export » Export Devices Spreadsheet and save the spreadsheet.
- Browse to the Navigation menu » Alarms » Trend Alarms » Action menu » Export Rules and save the spreadsheet.
- Install the InsightCM Suite using the Installation Instructions process outlined in the InsightCM Readme for the version you are installing. The InsightCM Suite installer contains installers for the InsightCM Server, EMSA, Enterprise Gateway, MCSA, and Thermal Imaging Toolkits. Select all the toolkits that you will use and the Suite installer will install your selections. Note: You must run the installer as Administrator.
- Once the installer is completed, reboot the server machine and log into the server using the same Administrator account used to run the installer. The post installation configuration will run and make the required changes to upgrade InsightCM.
- Open a web browser and navigate to http://localhost:82/icm or https://localhost:482/icm to confirm that the upgrade was successful. To use the http://localhost:82 URL, clear the cache on your web browser to prevent the browser from being redirected to the previous version of InsightCM's web application. Refer to browser specific documentation to clear the cache.
- Browse to the Assets page, and confirm that the Asset tree was imported correctly.
- Browse to the Device page, and confirm that the device channels are mapped to the Asset tree correctly. To do this, select each imported device, view the Equipment Mapping tab of the Device Configuration page and update channel mapping as needed.
- Update Condition Monitoring devices applications and connect to the InsightCM Server:
- Browse to the Devices page.
- Select a group of ten devices that you want to update and select Action » Connection » Reset Connection.
- Once you reset the connection, the devices will update their application image, configuration, and connection information. Check the configuration status of the device to see when the update finishes and the devices' Config Status will display Succeeded once complete
- Repeat this process for the next group of ten devices until all devices are updated.
- (Optional) Change Data File storage directory to be on a 3rd storage drive. With InsightCM 3.2 and later, data is stored in both a central database and as files on disk. See The Data Storage Directory in InsightCM for more information.
- If migrating from InsightCM 3.0 or 3.1, migrate Data Sets to move waveform data from the InsightCM database to files on disk. This change results in better performance by decreasing memory used by the InsightCM database and more uniform load time for viewing data in the Data Viewer. The migration runs as a background process and can take on the order of hours to days to complete, depending on the amount of data to be moved. See the Run Data Set Migration section of The Data Storage Directory in InsightCM.
- If your database is in a non-default location, the InsightCM installer may not be able to find the database when upgrading the server. After upgrading InsightCM and confirming you can see your configuration and data in the web UI, run the following command from the command prompt to ensure the database is migrated: “C:\Program Files\National Instruments\InsightCM Server 3.0\InitialConfigTool.exe” --forceMigration
Note: All InsightCM data will be imported to the new InsightCM server. Custom units may not be imported and must be re-added manually after upgrading. If using the Enterprise Gateway Toolkit, any existing OSIsoft PI Points or OPC tags will be preserved. InsightCM 3.2 and later uses the OSIsoft PI AF Client SDK, which must be installed to use the PI Historian.
Note: In InsightCM 3.2 and 3.3, deleting or commenting on archived data can lead to the corruption of multiple weeks of data. If you believe that you encountered this bug, you can run the "fixarchivedtps" command from the InsightCM Console. If the database is large, this operation could take multiple hours to complete. You can continue to use the InsightCM server while the operation runs.