Citadel is a historical database that enables you to create, manage, and visualize I/O data collected through the DSC Module. Citadel also enables you to execute common database tasks in the DSC Module.
Rapid Logging of Data, Alarms and Events
A single configuration dialog box in LabVIEW enables data logging of I/O channels, alarms, and events to Citadel. When you complete the configuration and deploy the library of channels, Citadel automatically logs data for you to use.
Figure 1: You can quickly start logging I/O data in LabVIEW DSC by selecting the check box in DSC Settings: Database dialog box and configuring the properties of a library of channels.
Flexible Data Retrieval
National Instruments provides tools for accessing data logged in Citadel to share and visualize data. You can use the data in the following ways:
- View the data interactively by using the Historical Data Viewer in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX)
- Access the data programmatically by using the DSC Module VIs and functions
- Import data into NI DIAdem for configuration-based analysis and reporting
- Retrieve the data with other software products, such as Microsoft Excel, by using the Citadel Open Database Connectivity (ODBC)
Refer to Retrieving Data from a Citadel Database for more information about accessing data in the Citadel database.
Database Replication Tools
Citadel and the DSC Module enable you to manually or programmatically archive data and to create redundancy systems that provide long-term data integrity. You can perform archiving by using the following tools:
- Historical Data Viewer – Manually archive data on active databases
- Database Management VIs – Automatically archive data on a regular basis
In addition, if redundancy systems are already in place, Citadel has an ODBC interface which enables data transfer to common enterprise databases such as Oracle. Learn more about the Archiving Options for Citadel Historical Databases.