This application note outlines how to use the TDM Excel Add-In tool to load NI *.TDM and *.TDMS files into Microsoft Excel.
To download and install the TDM Excel Add-In go to the TDM Excel Add-In Download Page.
Operation: Install the TDM Excel Add-In and open Microsoft Excel and you will see the following custom toolbar:
Note: If you do not see the TDM Importer see Troubleshooting the TDM Excel Add-In for Microsoft Excel 2007 or Troubleshooting the TDM Excel Add-In for Microsoft Excel 2003.
Loading TDM files into Excel: Simply click on the symbol Import a TDM(S) File, this launches a file open dialog where you select which TDM file you wish to open in Excel.
Configuring the TDM Excel Add-In: You can choose which properties are loaded into Excel at the root, group and channel levels, this includes custom properties. To launch the configuration dialog pictured below, click on the symbol Configure TDM Importer.
For data files with more than 65 thousand values per row for Excel 2003 or one million for Excel 2007 the TDM Excel Add-In permits you to choose the part of the file you want to work with in Excel.
Use the TDM Excel Add-In COM-API to load TDM/TDMS files into Microsoft Excel using VBA.
- Use ‘Open with>>Excel Importer’ or double-click from Windows Explorer to open a TDM/TDMS file in Excel
- Use VBA and the TDM Excel Add-In COM-API to automate loading of TDM and TDMS files into Excel
- Each TDM/TDMS file loaded into Excel creates a new Excel Workbook
- Each group in the TDM/TDMS file is loaded onto a separate Excel Worksheet
- Each channel of a group is loaded as a separate column in the groups Worksheet
Supported file formats:
- TDMS 1.0 files and TDMS 2.0 files
- TDM files
Supported Excel versions:
- Excel 2003, Excel 2007 and Excel 2010 (32-bit)
- Excel 2000 and before are not supported
- Currently Excel 2010 64-bit is not supported
Notes on installing on Microsoft Vista:
After the installation of the TDM Excel Add-In you need to start Microsoft Excel at least once using administrator privileges.