Verifying a Serial Port
The following test writes to the serial port and reads from the same port (make sure you have a loopback configuration set up as described in the Serial Communication Starting Point page):
- Select Start>>Programs>>Accessories>>Hyperterminal.
- Double-click on the Hypertrm icon.
- If you are asked if you would like to install a modem, select No.
- You are prompted to select an icon to represent the connection you are about to define. Choose any one, and name the session.
- In the next Pop-Up menu, choose direct to COMx where x is the number of the COM Port you are testing.
- Set the flow control setting to None. You may leave the other settings in the next dialog box, though you can increase the speed if you like.
- Select File » Properties from the menu bar, select the Settings tab, and then push the ASCII Setup button.
- Check the option for Echo typed characters locally.
- Start typing. If you see double characters (that is, you see two characters for every one you type), the serial port is setup correctly and is functional.